Windows is the most popular OS today. Tens of millions of desktop laptops run on Windows 10 with extreme ease and efficiency. However, as with any technical system, there are times when users face problems as several errors often pop up while using. One such commonly seen error is the dreaded error code 0xc00000e. If you are frustrated with the error notification then this article will offer the best solution for you.
In this article, we have detailed steps that show how to fix Windows 10 error code 0xc00000e.
Why am I seeing error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10?
There are several different reasons for seeing the dreaded error code 0xc00000e while using Windows 10. It could be that a drive configuration is incorrect. It could also arise from hardware failure. In addition, the error code 0xc00000e can also develop when Windows is unable to find its boot location or when the winload.exe file gets corrupted and becomes inaccessible.
How to Fix Windows 10 Error Code 0xc00000e?
Here are the eight proven ways that can help to fix error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10:
Resolution 1 – Check Device Connections
The first step to resolve Windows 10 error code 0xc00000e is to check the externally connected devices to your computer. This step is very important as, in case, the UEFI or BIOS files are configured in a way that the external device gets higher processing power in the boot order as compared to the PC’s hard disk. In such an event, the booting process is affected as the PC tries to boot from the external device rather than the hard disk. This often results in the development of error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10 computers.
For this step, make sure to check the connections of external devices, such as pen-drives, USB sticks, CDs, or other storage devices.
Resolution 2 – Recreate BCD File
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) file has the list of parameters required to configure the booting process. These parameters are useful for instructing your computer on how to boot Windows OS. Hence, if a BCD file is corrupted, then it leads to problems with your PC and thus shows the error code 0xc00000e.
This can be resolved by recreating the BCD file. To recreate the BCD file, you will first need to create a bootable medium from the ISO, attach it to your Windows 10 operated computer and follow the steps given below:
Steps to Recreate BCD File and Resolve Windows 10 Error Code 0xc00000e
- Once the computer starts booting from the bootable medium which has been created by you, click on the “Next” button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click on the “Repair your computer” button on the bottom left corner of your screen. DO NOT click on “Install now” at the center of your screen.
- Click on the “Troubleshoot” button, next click on the “Advanced Options” button and choose the “Command Prompt” button from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the account you are currently using to continue (type the password, if any).
- Type in this command in the prompt box – bootrec/rebuildbcd – and hit “Enter”.
- Once the installation for Windows is found, press the “Y” on the keyboard for approving the boot from the list and rebuilding your BCD file in the process.
- Once the booting is completed, type in – bootrec/fixmbr (press Enter), next type – bootrec/fixboot (press Enter)
Resolution 3 – Recreate BCR Registry Hive
This solution helps to repair boot sector files and establish them once more. Use a media-creation tool to create a bootable media and follow the simple steps given below to resolve error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10:
Steps to recreate BCR Registry Hive and Resolve Error Code 0xc00000e in Windows 10
- Use a DVD/CD or USB Drive as bootable media and connect it to your computer.
- Access “BIOS” settings or “Boot menu” and reset the boot order by selecting the external storage device as the primary boot location, and press any key on the keyboard to continue.
- Wait for the system files to get loaded completely.
- Choose the relevant option and click on “Next”.
- Select the “Repair your computer” option.
- Click on the “Troubleshoot” button.
- Select the “Advanced options” button.
- Access Command Prompt from the list of options, select the user account and password if required.
- Next, in the Command Prompt field, type in – bootrec/fixmbr (press Enter), next type in – bootrec/fixboot (press Enter), then type in – bootrec/scanos (press Enter), type in – bootrec/rebuildbcd (press Enter).
- Exit the Command Prompt window, remove the external bootable storage device and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
These are the top three ways to fix error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10 OS. Follow the steps given in every solution carefully to get rid of the error code and ensure smooth and efficient operation of your computer system.