Windows.old is a folder that we will see in the local drive of our computer when we upgrade to a new version of Windows. This folder consumes a lot of space and can bring hassle in storing some more data on your computer. Check out this article on how to delete Windows.old folder.
The Windows.old folder contains the information of the previous version of Windows. If the folder is taking too much space then we want to delete it. But it is not an easy task to delete it by just right-click on the folder and tap on the delete option.
When you install a new version of Windows and if it creates issues in downloading then with this Windows.old folder, you can recover all the things easily. That’s why there is some mechanism for not deleting this folder.
There is a rule when a new version is installed and more than 30 days happened, then the folder will get removed automatically. But still, if you want the space at present then you have to perform some operations.
If you do not know about it then don’t worry, we will tell you some methods of deleting the folder from your computer. So be with us in this article.
How to Delete Windows.old folder?
Here are some of the best methods of deleting the Windows.old folder that contains the old data of the previous operating system.
# Delete the Folder via Disk Cleanup
This is one of the most basic ways to delete the Windows.old folder from your device. Just follow the steps carefully as given below.
- First of all, you have to open the File Explorer on your computer.
- Now go to the option, where you will get to see all the drives.
- Now just click on the drive where you have installed the latest version of Windows.
- Then right-click on the drive and then tap on the Properties option.
- Now you will get to see the General tab, it will open by default, and then tap on the ‘Disk Cleanup’ option.
- Then you will get to see an option of ‘clean up system files’, just tap on it.
- Now you will get to see various options in the list, in which there is an option of Previous Windows Installation, just mark right on it. If you want to delete more things then mark the options.
- Then tap on the Ok button.
- It will ask for the confirmation, just tap on Yes to confirm it.
That’s it, by just following these steps, you will able to delete the Windows.old folder from your device. Let us know more methods.
Read More:- How to Fix 100 Disk Usage Windows 10
# Delete the Folder via Storage Sense Settings
This is also an easy method through which you can delete the Windows.old folder from your device. Just follow these basic steps.
- At first, you have to open the settings of your computer.
- Now just tap on the System option and then tap on the Storage option under it.
- Under that option, you have to click on the ‘Change how we free up space automatically’ option.
- You will get various options on this page.
- Now, at the end of the page, you will get to see an option named ‘delete previous version of Windows’, just mark the right option on it.
- At last, just tap on the Clean up option to remove the folder name from your device.
By just following these steps, you will able to remove the Windows.old folder from your device. Let us know one more method of it.
Read More:- How to Make Games Run Faster on Windows 10?
# Delete the Folder via Temporary File settings
You can also delete that folder by changing the Temporary File Settings. The process is quite the same, but some things are different, we have discussed below. To know the whole process of it, just follow the steps carefully.
- Here you have to open the Settings option on your device.
- Then click on the System option and click again on the Storage option.
- Now you have to tap on the Free up space now option and you will get various options there.
- Then do the right mark on the ‘Previous Windows option’, if you want more items to free up space, then you can also mark right on those options.
- Below at the end, you will get an option of Remove files, just tap on it.
That’s all, by following these steps, you can free up space up to 15 – 20 GB from your device and can do your other work easily.
Read More:- How to Speed Up Internet Windows 10?
So these are the methods through which you can delete the Windows.old folder. We will recommend, if you have low space on your PC, only then you should delete the Windows.old folder because it will automatically removed after 30 days of new version installation.
how to delete Windows.old folder in windows 10
how to delete Windows.old folder from c drive
how to delete Windows.old folder after upgrade